Monday, August 25, 2008

Mom's Meatloaf


Growing up my mom made this meat loaf and it was so yummy! (Wish it looked better in the picture-- wish my name was Adrienne) I make it every once in awhile and there is no written recipe for it. So sometimes it is good and sometimes not. I love it when it turns out great and I love it even more on the next day for lunch when I have it on a sandwich with Miracle Whip instead of mayo. Yum!!!

You forgot the yummy mixture for the top, our favorite part! (the ketchup 1/2 cup, dry mustard 1 tsp. and brown sugar 2tbsp!) Actually, I mix the ingred. for the topping in my small batter bowl and microwave it for a minute or two. Then we can put some on just our servings since the girls don't care for the topping. I just made it last week. We LOVE this meatloaf. Yum!
c.

Ingredients:

1# of Lean Ground Beef (I bet the unlean would be yummier :) )
1 egg
Quick Oatmeal
Lots of Ketchup
Onion Powder
These ingredients will vary with the amount of meat you use. If you are feeding more than 4, I would use 2# and use 2 eggs. 1 1/2# I might put 2 eggs in. It just depends on how I feel at the time.

Ok, Put the ground beef in a bowl and add the egg. Mix thoroughly. Using your hand would be best but kind of cold. Sprinkle in the oatmeal for a binder. Don't go nuts, but maybe between 1/2 and 3/4 cup. Sprinkle some onion powder in to egual one medium onion. Mix this all together. You want no chunks. Now the fun begins. Squirt the ketchup in the bowl and keep squirting. It will be wet and red but not runny. Mix this all very well with a fork or your hand. The more mixed up it is the better. I hate it when I don't get this mixed and there are globs of cooked meat with no ketchup on it.

Spray a casserole pan like a 13 x 9, low and flat, with Pam (gotta be healthy somewhere). Pour the meatloaf in the pan and make a low mound in the pan.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and then put the meatloaf in the oven and bake about 1 hour til done. You may have to cover part way through so it does not burn. When it is baked take out of oven and remove meatloaf and put on platter to serve. This stops any grease from settling back into the meatloaf.

I have always served this with baked potatoes and corn. It is a great comfort food. I am making it tomorrow night!

1 comment:

adrienne said...

i am so going to make this! nate loves meatloaf. i wonder what it would be like using turkey instead? probably not as good.