Sunday, August 10, 2008

A Delicious Summer Pasta


This is a recipe from The Pioneer Woman (I like to think we are friends). You can find step by step instructions here, but it wasn't available in recipe form on her site. So here it is. Make it immediately... you won't be disappointed.

4 - 5 zucchini, diced
1 medium onion, dices
2 cloves garlic
grape (or cherry) tomatoes, halved
olive oil
2/3 cup white wine (or chicken broth)
1 tablespoon Arrowroot*
farfalle (Bowtie Pasta)
1/2 cup cream*
Parmesan cheese
Fresh herbs: lemon thyme, basil leaves, chives

Begin by bringing a pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions. Farfalle is best when it’s al dente, or when it has a nice “bite” to it.

Heat a couple of tablespoons olive oil over medium high to high heat. When the oil’s nice and hot, throw in half of the zucchini. Don’t stir right off the bat; you want the zucchini to brown.
Sprinkle the zucchini with salt. Stir it around ’til it gets good and brown, then remove to a plate. Repeat with the other half of the zucchini, and remove it to the plate. (Don't overcook the zucchini. You’ll want it to still have a little bite to it when you throw it into the sauce later.)

Now, in the same pan, drizzle in some more olive oil. Add onions and garlic. Stir. Add halved grape tomatoes on top. Make sure the heat isn’t too high at this point—medium low to medium is just fine.

Pour in about half of the wine or chicken broth. This’ll probably be about 1/3 cup. With a whisk or a spoon, scrape the bottom of the pan to deglaze, so all the flavorful bits will be released.

Pour the rest of the wine (another 1/3 cup or so) into a dish. Sprinkle in a tablespoon of Arrowroot and stir to combine.

Add to pan and stir gently to combine. Immediately add in 1/2 to 3/4 cup cream and the zucchini. Stir it gently to combine, turning off the heat at this point. You really don’t want to cook the sauce after adding the arrowroot.

Salt to taste. And salt some more. Trust me.

Pour the drained pasta into a large serving bowl or platter. Add fresh herbs and pour the contents of the pan over the top. Toss it together. And sprinkle with Parmesan. Eat!

*There was no Arrowroot to be found at 2 of our 3 grocery stores so I just used flour. I am not sure how much of a difference it makes... especially since I have no idea what it is exactly. And I used evaporated milk instead of cream because Meredith told me to.

3 comments:

Paula Aspacher said...

I am going to make this too. I am a little hurt, though as I thought I was your best friend :)

adrienne said...

You ARE!!

Paula Aspacher said...

Wow, now I feel better, I thought I had been replaced. I scared your sister a little telling her I may have to go to AR to visit my friends! She gets a little jealous! Ha!