This recipe was delicious and easy! It will definitely become a "work day recipe" at our house. (Meaning that I can work all day, help the kids with homework and prepare a delicious meal!)
I found this in Real Simple Magazine (my favorite periodical at the moment). I do not usually serve much in the way of pasta at our house (much to the dismay of my children) as I try to build our meals around complex carbs rather than simple carbs. However, this looked yummy, seemed like something everyone would eat and I had everything I needed (except the jar of sauce). I served it with some bread and a huge salad. My kids were thrilled as I counted this meal as containing two servings of fruits/vegetables (the tomato sauce and spinach) ...we encourage the strive for five rule...no dessert unless you have eaten at least 5 servings of fruit and veggies during the day.
Last-minute lasagna serves 6
1- 24-26 oz jar of marinara sauce (I used my mother-in-law's delicious recipe...see below)
2- 20 oz pkgs of refrigerated large cheese ravioli (I used 1 pkg of small round frozen cheese ravioli)
1 -10 oz box frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed of excess liquid (I used a bag of Hanover brand that I steamed in microwave for 4 min then squeezed the excess liquid)
2 cups of shredded mozzarella (I used the 2% milk kind)
1/2 cup grated parmesan (I used 1/4 cup)
Heat oven to 375. Spray your dish and spoon a thin layer of sauce into the bottom of a 9 x 13 (I used a 9 x 9 since I was only using 1 bag of ravioli) baking dish.
On top of the sauce layer a 3rd of the ravioli, half the spinach, 1/3 of the mozzarella and 1/3 of the sauce; repeat. Top with remaining ravioli, sauce, mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese.
Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until bubbling, 10 more minutes or so.
I did not defrost the ravioli first. The meal made the way I made it still served 6.
As you can see this recipe is very flexible. I did not follow the exact recipe and it was delicious!
Marinara Sauce
2 cans whole plum tomatoes (28 oz.)
3 garlic cloves
¼ c. x-virgin olive oil
½ tsp. Salt
¼ tsp. Pepper
In food processor, pulse tomatoes till coarsely chopped
Heat garlic in pot with oil 2 min. add tomatoes, s & p. bring to boil, reduce heat & simmer partially covered 30 min. cool. Refrigerate up to 3 days.
Enjoy!
coleen
Friday, January 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment