Thursday, January 29, 2009

Grown Up Macaroni and Cheese

Ingredients:

8-10 slices of bacon -- I use center cut- you could use turkey
Kosher Salt
1 box corkscrew pasta
3 cups 2% milk
4 T. unsalted butter
1 # Gruyere Cheese shredded
1 handful of cheddar cheese - shredded
freshly ground pepper
pinch of nutmeg--I didn't use as I don't care for and don't own
panko bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

1. Cook bacon and crumble.
2. Cook corkscrew pasta with package directions, Drain
3. Heat milk on low in small saucepan while pasta is cooking.
4. Add butter to medium saucepan and melt. Add flour to butter and stir and cook on low for 2 minutes. Add the warm milk to the butter/flour mixture and stir while on medium low heat until it starts to thicken.
5. Take milk mixture off the heat and add the Gruyere, cheddar, 2 t. salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Mix thoroughly.
6. Add this to the pasta and pour it into a prepared casserole dish.
7. Top with the panko.
8. Bake for 35-45 minutes until heated through and bubbly.

No comments: