Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Uncle Harry's Famous Pasta Sauce

I got this recipe from my niece, Lynn. She is no longer able to eat the tomatoes in the sauce, but it was her favorite. I made it yesterday. It takes about 3 hours and you need a very big pot to make it in. I have a very large dutch oven pot and the sauce filled up to 1/2 inch of the top. Of course you can't eat this in one meal, but I divided it up and froze it for future meals. I made mostacolli (I know this is spelled wrong, but I am German, what do you expect) pasta and then added the sauce to it in a casserole dish. I think Meredith will be the one to try this sauce. She seems like the type to take on a challenge in the kitchen. She will have some yummy sauce for the freezer, made ahead when she is taking care of Abby and little Lucy this spring. :) I wish I would have thought about it and kept some in small quantities aside and froze it for pizza sauce. Yum that would have been good.

Ingredients:

1 - 64 oz. can of tomato juice
3 - 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
2 - 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
2 - 28 oz. can puree' tomatoes
3 - small cans tomato paste
1# ground beef or ground turkey
1 - head of garlic (yup, I mean the whole thing) cleaned and sliced thin
1- lge onion diced
4 oz. dried basil flakes--I measured and its about a 1/4c. Looks like way too much, but it's not
Salt to taste -- I added 1 1/2 T. but it was not enough
8 oz. olive oil or corn oil - I used corn as Lynn used it, but next time I will try olive

Directions:
1. Gently heat oil and add garlic and brown lightly. (watch carefully as if too dark it will be ruined)
2. Add basil and onions- saute' until onions are opaque
3. Brown hamburger in opaque onions. ( I did this at the end in another pan as I was going to just add to what we were going to eat that night. I also wanted to be able to drain the grease. Come to find out I used a low fat burger and there really was only 1 T. of grease. I had second thoughts and added to the large pot. If I was going to make some pizza sauce, I would take that out and then add the meat to what was left)
4. Add all tomato products to onion/garlic/basil mixture except for the PASTE.
5. Cook til sauce begins to simmer or bubble slightly.
6. Adjust heat to lowest possible degree.
7. Stir this sauce every 10 to 15 minutes. This sauce must be watched and nurtured.
8. After 1 hour add tomato paste.
9. Stir together and cook 2 more hours stirring every 10-15 minutes.
10. I added the hamburger a but 15 minutes before the 3 hour point.

Turn off heat and let cool a little bit. Divide up in individual containers to freeze. I let sit on counter til it was cool and then put in the freezer.

No comments: