Sunday, April 27, 2008

Shrimp and Rice Salad with Cilantro-Lemon Dressing

If making this the day before, wait until serving to toss in the cilantro.

Ingredients:

10 cups hot water
1 (3 1/2 oz.) bag boil-in-bag long-rain rice
1 1/2 # large shrimp, peeled and deveined (I use frozen)
3/4 C. finely chopped poblano chile (about 1 medium)
1/2 C. fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
1/4 C. fresh lemon juice
3/4 t. salt
1/4 t. freshly ground black paper
1/8 t. ground red pepper
2 T. extravirgin olive oil
4 lemon wedges

1. Bring water to boil in a large dutch oven. Add bag of rice, cook 5 minutes. Add shrimp, return to boil. (that would be if you don't cheat and use frozen or previously cooked shrimp, like I do). Drain bag of rice and shrimp, rinse with cold water. Drain.

2. Combine poblano and next 5 ingredients (through red pepper) in a large bowl. Open bag of rice and shrimp to poblano mixture; toss gently to combine. Drizzle with oil, and toss gently to coat. Serve with lemon wedges. Yields 4 servings (1 1/2 cups)

This is so yummy and I think reasonably healthy. I was worried about Jeff not liking it and while our first meal of it was almost over, he aske me if I wanted any more and he took the serving bowl and started eating the rest of the salad out of the bowl. Guess it was pretty good stuff, because he has better manners than that.

1 comment:

Paula Aspacher said...

Our dinner was really good. I noticed it took 2 poblano's to make the required amount. I made 2# of shrimp and 1 1/12 x's the rice. I kind of went a litlle oveboard on ingredients, but it was very good. I guess I 1 1/2 everytthing.