Saturday, March 7, 2009

Mushrooms

Every time I buy fresh mushrooms for a recipe, I have to deal with how to clean them. I never buy already sliced fresh mushrooms as I really feel like they are not clean and I am definitely not going to clean every slice individually. All of you may not ever think of this or really don't care, but I have been cooking for almost 29 years and wonder every time I open a package.

I have this issue because I have seen the little story on Mr. Rogers Neighborhood on how mushrooms are grown. That pretty much made me not like the little black specks of dirt on the fresh mush.

Food Network cooks say that you should just wipe each mushroom off with a paper towel. They say that if you rinse them off with water they take on too much water and it affects the taste.

For some reason I really don't think that the wiping does the trick. So I rinse with water, slice off any part the looks yucky and then slice the mushrooms.

So this question is for all of you gourmet cooks out there. How do you clean your mushrooms? Do you ever think about this?? Am I a little nutty about this?? Yes, Karen Anderson, I know I have some issues with germs, but that black stuff really kind of grosses me out.. Let me know how you do it.

1 comment:

hilarylarson said...

love the new look. :)