Sunday, March 22, 2009

Miss Mary’s Boarding House Meat Loaf

pounds ground beef (I CORRECTED THIS AMOUNT)
¾ cup uncooked oatmeal
1 ½ teaspoons salt
¼ cup onions, chopped ( I’m not an onion fan, so I put the onions in the food processor and get them really fine)
¼ cup bell pepper, chopped (I do the same with the pepper as the onion, I usually use green peppers)
¼ cup catsup
2 eggs, beaten

Grease a 9x3 inch loaf pan. In a large bowl combine all the ingredients and form into a loaf. Place into the prepared pan. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Pour off the juice and bake for 10 minutes longer. Place on a platter and cover with sauce.

Meat loaf sauce:
¾ cup catsup
2 tablespoons onion, chopped
2 tablespoons bell pepper, chopped
¼ cup brown sugar, firmly packed

Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan and simmer, covered over low heat until the onions and peppers are tender. Pour over the meatloaf.

I normally double the catsup and brown sugar to make more sauce. Since I’m not a fan of the onions or peppers, I strain the sauce and remove them after its done cooking.

Valerie got this recipe from Miss Mary Bobo's Boarding House recipe book. She purchased it at the boarding house after having lunch there after Christmas. Jeff, Mark, Valerie and I had reservations and then went on a tour of the Jack Daniels Distillery in Lynchburg Tennessee. It was great fun and good food served family style at a large table with people from all over the area)

No comments: