Sunday, March 22, 2009

Eggplant Parmesan

I’ve (Valerie) been a huge fan of Eggplant Parmesan for several years. It’s the dish I normally order when I go to Italian restaurants. I’m pretty picky about how it’s made though. I don’t like when the eggplant is breaded or fried. This dish was really good. I’ve only made it once before but I think it’s going to become a staple in our house.

1 eggplant, cut into 1/4 inch slices ( find the largest eggplant, or get two if they are small)
1 ½ tablespoons salt
8 tablespoons olive oil
8 ounces ricotta cheese
6 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg beaten
½ cup chopped fresh basil
4 cups pasta sauce

Sprinkle both sides of the eggplant slices with salt. Place slices in a colander, and place a dish underneath the colander to capture liquid that will sweat out of the eggplant. Allow to sit for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, mix the ricotta, mozzarella cheese and ½ cup Parmesan cheese. Mix in egg and basil. Rinse the eggplant in cold water until all salt is removed. In a large skillet, heat 4 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Place one layer of eggplant in the pan, brown each side. Repeat with remaining eggplant slices, using additional oil if necessary. In a 9x13 inch baking dish, evenly spread 1 ½ cups of spaghetti sauce. Arrange a single layer of eggplant slices on top of the sauce. Top the eggplant with ½ of the cheese mixture. Repeat the layering process until all the eggplant and cheese mixture in used. Pour remaining sauce on top of layers, and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 30- 40 minutes in the preheated oven, until sauce is bubbly.

No comments: