Saturday, May 7, 2011

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

This recipe came from Debbie Macomber's Cedar Cove cookbook. We don't really eat soup at our house, but needed something this week that was easy to make!

Serves 6

Ingredients:

2 T olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and very thinly sliced
1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
1/2 t dired thyme
8 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
3 cups shredded meat from a purchased rotisserie chicken (I BOUGHT LEMON-PEPPER)
2 cups water
3 oz. wide egg noodles (I would rather have a thinner noodle)
3/4 cup frozen peas
salt & pepper to taste

1. warm oil in a large saucepan or soup pt over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, celery and thyme; cook 8 minutes, until softened, stirring occasionionally. Pour in broth, shredded chicken and about 2 cups water. Bring to a simmer; let cook 5 minutes until vegetables are tender and flavors combine.

2. Add noodles and peas; cook about 8 minutes, until noodles are tender. Season with salt and pepper.

3. I think the lemon-pepper chicken really made this tastie! Also, I made fresh cornbread to eat with it.

No comments: