Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Yummy and Delicious Summer Salad!!!!

I was at work today pondering, okay, maybe thinking what would be good for dinner tonight. My lunch was very uneventful as I made a Lean Cuisine pizza in the micro and ate it while I worked. Nothing came to me. I thought while I was working sloppy joes or grilled chicken would be good. The grilled chicken stayed with me as I knew it would be healthier... As I drove to the grocery after work, the light bulb came on and I thought "Grilled Chicken Salad!"

Soooo...

This is what I did:

I bought some organic field greens and some baby spinach. Mixed them together and washed in my handy dandy salad spinner.

Then I added: chopped scallions, chopped English cucumber, mandarin orange wedges, craisens, toasted almond slices, and feta cheese!

I then made some of this dressing:

1 lemon
2 T. white wine vinegar
1/3 cup sugar ( I was bad and used Splenda)
1 T. EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
1 t. sesame seeds
Zest 1 lemon to 1 t. zest. juice lemon for 2T. juice. combine all above ingredients, shake or whisk, cover and refrigerate. I did not refrigerate as I was making it while the chicken was grilling! I doubled the dressing as I does not make much and I also did not zest the lemon as I didn't read the recipe until I had thrown them in garbage disposal. I just squeezed 2 lemons and used it all.

YES THERE IS CHICKEN ALSO!!!!

I was making 3 salads so I made 3 breasts! I marinated my chicken in a marinate called Mojo Marinate. It is a fruity marinate like with orange etc. It is for pork, chicken etc. You can find something at your grocery that you enjoy for a marinate.

After marinating for a couple of hours, I pulled the breasts out of the mari. and put them in another zip lock bag and pounded them down to flatten and further tenderize.

Jeff then grilled the chicken and I sliced on the diagonal at a 45 degree angle! Ha! sounds hard.. just slice it!

I then prepared the salads on dinner plates and added the chicken last.

So it goes:

Greens,
Onion,
Cucumber,
Oranges,
Craisens,
Feta Cheese,
Toasted Almonds Slices,
Chicken,
Dressing! (Garrett, my 22 year old son) used Ranch Dressing as he loves it and he really only like greens and chicken, but he ate the whole concoction and said it was good)

YUMMO as Rachel Ray says! Enjoy this summer treat that is easy to prepare!

If you are really unable to grill, sometimes I buy the chicken in a package already cooked and sliced, or you could buy a whole chicken and just pull the meat and add to the salad.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Sounds yummy! Allen doesn't eat salad but I could just give him the chicken and make a quick veggie, then I can have the salad all to myself!!!!