Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Thanksgiving!

Can you believe it is the middle of October already? I have been busy working on some projects for Christmas gifts already. Jeff bought me a new sewing machine last year and then about a month ago he bought me an embroidery machine. It only embroiders and I have a lot to learn, but I am anxious to work with it. I have taken a couple of classes at the Bernina store and will be taking some more next month to become more proficient.

So back to food! For Thanksgiving I have injected my turkeys for the past 20 or so years with a recipe that I got from my neighbor in Pennsylvania. It was from her hometown in North Dakota and was used for a big turkey roast they did up there. So, back to injecting. It was so good and my turkeys, that were roasted in Reynolds Cooking Bags, were always tastie and moist. Last year I was at the mall around Thanksgiving and I wandered into my favorite kitchen store, Williams Sonoma. I love gadgets and love to look at all their stuff. They had their turkey brine out for sale and were promoting it, so I thought, "why not?" I purchased the brine, the bags and they call for using Apple Cider with the water for the brine, so I bought their concentrated cider.

Oh my goodness! Brining is easy, but it is also tricky. I have read many recipes online about how to do this. Many of them call for lots of ice and a cooler to brine the turkey overnight. I used the brining bag and put mine in my fridge in the garage. The tricky part? Not spilling the brine all over the kitchen counter and floor and carrying the turkey/brine mixture down a flight of stairs to garage fridge. Yes, I spilled mine and had to clean up a mess!

That being said: My turkey was phenomenal! Their brined turkey is the best I have ever tasted and loved it! Valerie wanted turkey for Christmas so I went back to get more brine mixture. Williams Sonoma is famous for this mixture. I could find it no where. They told me at the store, it is so popular that if you don't buy it before Thanksgiving, you have to wait until next year to get it. Sooo, let's just say I have my brine, etc... already waiting in the closet for next month! I bought enough for Christmas too! I hope Valerie doesn't change her mind and want something else! Ha! You would think I let her plan all the meals! Well, I do try to spoil her as I only get to see her a couple times a year. Guilty as charged!

Check your local Williams Sonoma for this brine to make your turkey a little different this year. If you don't have one, you can get it online! It would be well worth the effort!

No comments: